On top of spaghetti. All covered with cheese. I lost my poor meatball. When somebody sneezed.
I will give you $5 if you didn’t just sing that in your head! Everyone loves spaghetti and meatballs! With the weather we’ve had today it was the perfect bowl of comfort our bellies were looking for. And this cheats version means no time wasted in making the meatballs.
This Cheats Spaghetti and Meatballs is a great way to squeeze some veg into a dinner that your whole family will eat. It’s a tasty combination of eggplant, sweet capsicum and yummy zucchini. The meatballs are made using simple sausages! Genius! All you do is squeeze the meat out of the casings straight into the pan to make little meatballs. Takes a moment compared to making your own. I used a $4 packet of sausages from Aldi (I’m totally converted!). Too easy! My secret ingredient is just a little pinch of cinnamon to add a lovely sweetness without any added sugar.
Cheats Spaghetti and Meatballs – Serves 4
6-8 sausages (I have made this with beef sausages and with pork, both are delicious)
1 onion diced
1 medium eggplant diced into small cubes
1 red capsicum diced
1 zucchini diced
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cinnamon
salt and pepper
Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley to serve
1. Put a large pot of water on to boil, ready for the pasta.
2. In a large skillet/frying pan add the olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until starting to colour. Add eggplant and cook stirring for 5-10 minutes until starting to soften. You may need to add an extra glug of oil.
3. Squeeze the meat out of the sausages into the pan to make little meatballs. Continue stirring to brown the meatballs.
4. When meatballs have browned, add in the remaining vegetables and garlic. Cook for a few minutes.
5. Add in your tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, cinnamon and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Continue to cook over low-medium heat for 20 minutes. Sauce should thicken and meatballs should be cooked through.
6. Cook pasta as per packet directions.
7. Serve with parmesan and fresh parsley. A lovely glass of red wine would go down a treat (this pregnant mumma has to wait a while longer for that!)
I hope your whole family can sit down together, enjoy your Cheats Spaghetti and Meatballs and enjoy each others company.
Sign up with your email to receive new posts straight to your inbox! Lots of delicious recipes, family food ideas and free printables!